Rechercher dans ce blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Ball State Student-Athletes Rally To Vote - BallStateSports.com

In June, following dialogue with the Ball State Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, the "Register. Chirp. Vote." initiative was unveiled by the department of intercollegiate athletics. The idea? Educate student-athletes and the Ball State community around voter registration with an end goal of all eligible voters placing their votes for the November general election.
 
That process brings us to general election day. More has been gleaned than a vast majority of eligible Ball State student-athletes casting their ballots and helping a large percentage of Ball State teams reach a 100% registration rate.
 
"I believe it is very important to vote because it allows your views and voice to be heard," said Jordan Williams, a member of the football program. "Everyone has an opinion on who should be a leader in a certain area or what should be done about issues in a community. The best way to make a change is to vote. Even though it seems like one vote isn't much, it is. Like a wise man once said, the power in numbers is far greater than people realize."
 
Joey Ranieri, representing the Ball State men's golf team, contributed to the conversation, "It is our duty to vote. Our country fought for the right to vote, so we should take advantage of that opportunity. We have an opportunity to show our opinions and what changes we want in our country."
 
One of the key reminders for the Cardinals through this initiative is that it's about more than solely the headline-grabbing, national elections.
 
"I have learned a lot about voting going through this process," Ranieri added. "I have learned that it's very important to do your research before casting your ballot. Not only is someone voting for the presidential race, but they're also voting for the state and local elections, which are just as important. I have had to research the candidates and their policies to see which ones align more with my opinions and values. It can make decisions tough, but at least I feel as if I am more informed now and can make a clearer decision."
 
Part of the education provided to student-athletes was via the Rise to Win program which presented on the nation's history of voting rights and suppression. It's not always turnkey for citizens to vote.
 
"The experiences of voting have been interesting, to say the least," Williams added. "This is my second time voting. The first time I voted was with my father and he took me to vote in person since I turned 18 right before the election. This time around, my mother brought me my ballot from home which is three hours away. It is hard to trust the mailing of ballots with timing and logistics. Also, I was worried because I received my ballot after the legal date it was supposed to be in the mail. As I get older, I am starting to notice more flaws in the voting process and how important researching is when deciding between who to vote for."
 
The "Register. Chirp. Vote." initiative is just starting. There are more elections to come. Until then, be on the lookout for Cardinals sporting the spirited "I Voted" stickers around campus or on a Zoom call proudly proclaiming they have carried out their civic duty.
Print Friendly Version

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"ball" - Google News
November 03, 2020 at 08:09PM
https://ift.tt/34SXrsr

Ball State Student-Athletes Rally To Vote - BallStateSports.com
"ball" - Google News
https://ift.tt/39CKzGV
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Postingan Populer