Rechercher dans ce blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Five New U.S. Citizens Share How It Feels To Vote - Gothamist

bolaboladulu.blogspot.com

In the beginning of 2020 the Pew Research Center estimated more than 23 million U.S. immigrants would be eligible to vote in the presidential election, making up 10 percent of the nation’s total electorate. We interviewed five new citizens about voting means to them, and how it felt to cast a ballot in this presidential election.

Jeremy Heimans, Australia

Became a U.S. citizen on Valentine’s Day of this year.

As someone who has worked as an activist here for many, many years and who runs an organization that works on issues like gun violence and climate change, immigration, and many other issues that really matter here, it was very meaningful. I have always cared about American politics because, for better and worse, what America does shapes a lot of the fate of the world. For me, it felt very meaningful to have the right to express my voice after many, many years of working on issues here in the U.S. that are very much at stake in this election.

The line was about half an hour. Everybody in the line had a sense of solidarity, a sense of purpose. They knew what they were there to do. There was a sense of hope and determination all around.

I voted for Biden-Harris. I think this is an incredibly important election. As a child of a Holocaust survivor who very much grew up understanding that history can take very dark turns, I feel like we’re at one of those moments. We’ve had a president who is leading us down a road that is very dark and very dangerous, and that is putting the lives and dignity of so many Americans at risk.

Kaivalya Gorla holds up proof of her new U.S. citizenship.
arrow

Kaivalya Gorla

Kaivalya Gorla, 23, India

Became a U.S. citizen in August 2017.

When I first got the mail with my voter ID and where to do it, I was ecstatic. Voting was really quick. I didn’t get a sticker which I was very upset about. But what’s important is that my vote counted. Putting in the ballot for the machine to read and seeing that your vote’s been counted, it was a big moment for me.

The results of the 2016 election were very upsetting to me as a person of color, as an immigrant, as a woman. It was upsetting that I wasn’t able to be part of that political process.

Being able to exercise your right to vote is an amazing right that we have as Americans. Even if the results of the election don’t drastically change your life, I think you should see what it could do to other people that are not like you. I never think it’s too late to start voting.

Kayvan Daragheh shortly after becoming a U.S. citizen in 2019.
arrow

Kayvan Daragheh

Kayvan Daragheh, 28, U.K.

Became a U.S. citizen in August 2019.

I’ve always wanted to vote. The Obama election was really my first time of truly being into the entire political process; I watched almost every single debate. When Trump first got elected, that sucked. I was living in Nashville, Tennessee, at the time and I saw his rhetoric really ignite the audience in that city. Having to watch that happen and go into these last four years was not great. This time around, I knew I was going to have the opportunity to vote and I knew I just had to do this.

I don’t think this country has done a great job of advocating for people to take part in the political process. This country has a history of voter suppression, there’s almost an underlying want for people not to vote, in a way. I think the political process isn’t really taught well enough in school.

It felt really good to vote. Like I said before, it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. Just knowing that I can be part of the process this time around was very liberating.

Jane Duong holds her child and sports an "I Voted" sticker.
arrow

Jane Duong holds her daughter Leiya after voting.

Jane Duong, 32, China

Became a U.S. citizen in January 2017.

My first vote as a citizen was in the 2018 midterm elections after I became a citizen. This will be my first time voting as a citizen in a presidential election. Before I got into politics, I was a reporter and I wrote a lot about how important voting is, especially for Asian Americans. It’s the easiest way to participate in politics.

I hope by voting I can let candidates know that Asian Americans need representation as well and I can get them to pay attention to the needs of our communities.

Arnaud Dostes, wearing a mask, drops his absentee ballot into a ballot box.
arrow

Arnaud Dostes

Arnaud Dostes, France

Became a U.S. citizen in July 2020

I really wanted to vote in 2016. It was a very important election and I really wanted to vote, but wasn’t able to. I decided then that I was going to vote in 2020. I went through the entire process of becoming a naturalized citizen. After I became a citizen, I registered to vote the very next day.

[Voting in-person] was a carnival, like a party. People knew they were going to wait for hours and hours, and they were okay with it. They were smiling, singing, and clapping. It really hit me hard emotionally. I thought it was just amazing to see that. I didn’t wait that long. It was just in and out for me because I just dropped off my ballot.

When [Hillary Clinton] lost the election, I just figured I would do everything to make sure that Donald Trump would be a one-term president. I was looking forward to voting for whoever would run against him. But I also come from a family of politically-minded people so it was important for me to vote.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"five" - Google News
November 04, 2020 at 04:24AM
https://ift.tt/2I0BEpw

Five New U.S. Citizens Share How It Feels To Vote - Gothamist
"five" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2YnPDf8
https://ift.tt/2SxXq6o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Postingan Populer