Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Anthony Joshua believes he will retire from boxing in five years' time - DAZN News US

bolaboladulu.blogspot.com

Anthony Joshua is one of boxing's biggest current names, but in a recent interview he admitted it probably isn't really that long before he becomes an ex-boxer.

Joshua, who turned pro in 2013 after Olympic success at London 2012, is just 31 years of age but told Sky Sports News recently that his exit strategy is set for five years from now.

"This isn't the start of my career. I'm coming towards the end of my career," Joshua said.

"I'm not someone who lives in the moment and thinks that everything is just like for now. I'm always planning ahead so I'm coming towards the end of my career.

"Five years left and that's basically an Olympic cycle. I've got an Olympic cycle and a little bit more left, so when you see the next Olympics happen is when I'll be coming to the end of my career and the next generation will be coming through."

Of course, if Joshua has his way, those five years will nonetheless be very eventful.

His ultimate goal remains to become the undisputed world heavyweight champion. Nobody has unified the entire division since his fellow Brit Lennox Lewis over 20 years ago, and unless politics get in the way, he and Tyson Fury could well battle to determine an undisputed champ later this year.

Joshua also expressed interest in participating in a major boxing event in Africa before he retires in prior interviews. "AJ" is of Nigerian descent and cited the legacy of Muhammad Ali and George Foreman's "Rumble In The Jungle", staged in Kinshaha, Zaire in 1974, as part of the motivation.

Speaking to Sky late last year, Joshua also said he expects rival Fury, who currently holds the WBC to Joshua's WBA, WBO and IBF crowns, to retire before too much longer.

"Fury has been professional much longer than me. He should be looking to retire soon," Joshua said, "If he wants to cement his legacy, I'm here and ready. I've built myself into this position."

Fury, 32, disagrees with that sentiment and believes he can box at the top level for many more years to come.

"Klitschko did it until he was 40," said Fury, who dethroned Wladimir in Dusseldorf in 2015. "Nothing to prove to anybody. Not one thing to prove at all, but I box now, because I love boxing and I've been doing it all my life. Why walk away when I'm still only young?

"Hopefully I box until I have a good sit down with all the team and we all decide it's time to walk away, while I'm on top, and then sail away into the sunset, and then who knows what will happen after that."

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"five" - Google News
January 07, 2021 at 06:09PM
https://ift.tt/35eQzVS

Anthony Joshua believes he will retire from boxing in five years' time - DAZN News US
"five" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2YnPDf8
https://ift.tt/2SxXq6o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Postingan Populer